If you need to write a Halloween essay, you may experience some difficulties. Fortunately, Writers-House is always here to help you. Halloween is a unique day. Children love this holiday because they can put on funny or scary costumes and get some candy. This day has very interesting traditions, which makes it a great topic for an A+ essay.
- First of all, you should choose a topic. Determine what would be interesting for your audience and write a good title.
- Write an outline so that you can clearly understand what your essay will look like.
- Search for interesting facts about Halloween. For example, you can tell your readers why people started to wear weird costumes or why this day is associated with the dead.
- Your essay must have a clear structure, consisting of an introduction, body, and conclusion. Besides, make sure to check the requirements regarding the number of pages and word count.
- Use the appropriate style and the right citation format.
- Will people celebrate Halloween in the future?
- The tradition of carving a pumpkin.
- What you don’t know about the history of Halloween.
- Why do some people say that Halloween shouldn’t be celebrated?
- The best ways to spend Halloween.
Make sure to not only present interesting facts but also analyze them and explain your own opinion. These factors will to a large extent determine your grade.
Interesting Facts About Halloween
As we’ve already mentioned above, you should try to provide interesting facts. Research your topic, find evidence from proven sources, and analyze them in your essay. Here are some facts about this holiday.
- Druids believed that spirits can visit our world and even live in the bodies of living beings. They were also trying to predict the future. However, their traditions have changed because of the Roman Empire invading Celtic territories.
- There was a Celtic holiday devoted to the God of Death. On this day, which was the last day of October, Celts made big sacred fires and put on animal skins and heads.
- On November 1st, Romans celebrated All Saints’ Day. Instead of wearing animal skins, they started to dress up as ghosts, witches, and book characters. To repel ghosts, people carved jack-o’-lanterns and threw huge parties.
- The tradition of trick-or-treating first appeared in England, where it was a part of All Souls’ Day celebration. People baked “soul cakes” and gave them to the poor. Modern people also buy sweets to give them to kids.
Make sure to always check your sources for reliability. Avoid sources that express personal opinions. We recommend that you determine what sources are considered reliable by your college. For instance, many professors don’t like it when students use Wikipedia.
How to Start and How to Finish
All the essays have a certain logical structure. The structure of your essay must include an introduction, body, and conclusion. It’s especially important to write a catchy introduction because it will help you make a good impression. Writing experts recommend that you begin your introductions with interesting facts, anecdotes, citations, proverbs, or short stories. You can include such attention-grabbing elements both at the beginning and at the end of your Halloween essay.
Your introduction should also contain a thesis statement. Make sure that it’s brief yet informative because it will serve as the basis for the whole essay. Keep different sections of your essay logically connected to each other and make sure that the ideas from the body of your essay support the thesis statement. The conclusion and introduction must be the shortest sections of your essay.
You should use the right citation format and include footnotes and a bibliography section if needed. Make sure that your essay meets the requirements of your college.
The Style Does Matter
When writing an essay about Halloween, we recommend that you pay attention to its style. The most common writing styles are descriptive, narrative, persuasive, and expository. Each style can be a good choice for essays of a certain type.
For instance, you can use the narrative style to tell a story from your life. You may share some memories about Halloween with your readers, providing vivid details so that your readers can feel like they were present at that moment and shared it with you.
The expository style requires you to focus on evidence that you’ve collected from various sources and to analyze it. Expository essays shouldn’t be emotional.
Descriptive essay about Halloween can focus on such details as smells, sounds, colors, tastes, etc. They require you to create a realistic picture.
You may also write a persuasive essay about Halloween, arguing for a certain opinion and persuading your readers to agree with you. You can also make such an essay stronger if you interview a reputable person.